Saturday, December 21, 2013

There's no WAAAAAGH Left


It has happened, one of the most enjoyable MMO's I ever played -  Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning has closed. As of December 18th the last WAAAAGH bellowed throughout the lakes, never to be heard again. I have many fond memories of my time in WAR and I made some great friends too so I am sad to see it go, however it had been on the cards for some time so I'm not going to kid myself that it was going to continue battling on.

It was by no means a perfect game, but what it lacked in (and it lacked in quite a few areas) it made up for in lore, looks, game-play and how it made you feel when you logged in - it was like you were part of something greater than just you, a real struggle between good and evil. Yes the PvE was mediocre (although there were some innovative and very enjoyable elements like Public Quests) and it was plagued with bugs, *cough* TotVL, *cough*, but you could forgive that, to an extent because it was so much fun to play and the RvR was unrivaled and still is to this day in my opinion.

Praag RvR in all it's glory! - @Facebook Group
I'm not going to pick up on all of the reasons for it's failure, i.e. Producers talking complete tripe, ZERO (or very, very, limited) communication from the development team after the first 6 months, limited patch cycles, not enough bug fixes or a movement of critical man-power when the game needed it the most. But instead focus on the positives and what I got out of playing the game and the legacy it leaves behind.

Titchy git!
If I had to pick a side I'd have to go for Destruction, and to be even more precise, the Greenskins. The Goblins in particular were just superb, from the way they were animated to the hilarious things they said. I've never enjoyed playing a class so much as I did with that little Gobbo above. Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy playing Order and rolled many characters, but I always found myself being drawn back to my Greenies :).

Kill or Die, the Choppa mentality!
My Choppa was a close second place, but to really get the best out of this grunt you had to be in a solid group and unfortunately by the time I managed to get him into the higher echelon's the game was already starting to dwindle and guild's/friends were moving on.

I hope that one day I'll find another MMO I enjoyed as much as WAR and with a few promising titles on the horizon you never know, but until then I'll look back and ponder about what could have been if the right people had managed the title all the great times I had roaming the RvR lakes, all the PvE dungeon runs and just chatting to friends in guild chat......... Goodbye WAR, you will be missed, WAAAAAGH!

Here's a really nice tribute video by an ex-player.


Ish

No comments:

Post a Comment